A Homeowner's Guide to Selecting Flooring
Picking flooring for your new home can be a daunting task. It isn’t just a matter of finding the best-looking product. Many other factors, such as moisture, durability, price and more, go into selecting the perfect flooring for your lifestyle. That’s why we’ve put together a list of things to consider so that you can make the most informed decision when choosing between laminate, hardwood, vinyl, and tile.
- High quality - If you're like us and believe that quality is key then durable hardwood is the way to go.
- Variety - Hardwood is king from a design standpoint due to all the different styles and options available.
- Real wood - If you're the type of person who prefers a real wood fireplace over a gas one, you'll probably appreciate the real wood material in hardwood.
- Durability - Hardwood holds up well to both water and wear.
- Flexibility - You can typically re-finish hardwood products once, which can add valuable lifespan to your flooring.
- Higher price point - As is with many high quality products, hardwood comes with a higher price tag.
Vinyl Click Tile
- Durability - If durability is a big concern than vinyl click tile is a great option as it hold up very well against both water and wear.
- Design perks - Vinyl click tile offers a faux wood look, which means you can choose from an array of colours.
- Quick installation - We love how easy vinyl click tile is to install and you will too.
- Easy to repair - One of the biggest benefits to this product is the fact that you can replace random pieces without needing to replace whole sections of the floor.
- Higher price point - The pricing of vinyl click tile can be comparable to hardwood depending on the particular product.
- Moisture friendly - Tile is a great option for rooms that use water – for example: bathrooms, front halls, laundry and mud rooms.
- Highly durable - Tile holds up extremely well to both water and wear, and is very easy to clean.
- Pricey installation – Product costs may be lower than vinyl click tile and hardwood but installation costs for tile are much higher.
- Design choice – Tile flooring offers many styles and options to choose. It is the perfect option if you are looking to customize your space.
- Inexpensive – If you’re looking for the most affordable option, laminate is the way to go.
- Design choice – Laminate flooring offers many different styles and options to choose within a great budget range. You can even opt for a faux wood look if you’d like.
- Low durability – Laminate flooring does not hold up well to water or wear.
- Unforgiving – You cannot re-finish laminate so damaged flooring requires replacing the entire floor.